Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Sacrament

Today I have great appreciation for the blessed Sacrament and for the ordained young men who are prepared to administer it to me.
As I sat in the chapel today I was filled with a deep respect for the wonderful blessing we are given each week.
In Matthew chapter 26  Christ is anointed, keeps the passover and institutes the sacrament.
"And as they were eating, Jesus took the bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it."
And they sang a hymn and went into the Mount of Olives. Jesus went on to Gethsemane where he prayed and suffered for my sins. He was betrayed and was crucified as was Heavenly Father's plan.
I am humbled by this knowledge and I am awed that the Holy Ghost will testify of this to me and remind me of the greatness of the plan of salvation.

"As now we praise thy name with song,
The blessings of this day
Will linger in our thankful hearts,
And silently we pray
For courage to accept thy will,
To listen and obey.
We love thee, Lord; our hearts are full.
We'll walk thy chosen way."


I know that the young men (some as young as 12!) who bless and pass the sacrament are ordained by the Lord through the holy priesthood power. They take on this responsibility willingly. These are normal boys who make mistakes and don't always Choose The Right :0)
3 Nephi 18:5
"Behold there shall one be ordained among you, and to him will I give power that he shall break and bless it and give it unto the people of my church, unt all those who shall believe and be baptized in my name."

However, this is why we believe...we are not perfect, but Christ has shown us a way back to Him and our Father in heaven.
Christ's Church is here on the earth.  The same church he was head of in His time. The same rules apply, the same ideals, the same lessons He taught are taught to our children and youth and ourselves each Sunday.
3 Nephi 18:7
"And it shall be a testimony unto the Father that ye do always remember me ye shall have my Spirit to be with you."

The Gospel is true.
Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and was chosen as the first prophet of this dispensation when the world was ready to know the truth.
Heavenly Father speaks to and through prophets today.  Why wouldn't He?
Jesus Christ walked on this earth and he was crucified and it was the plan.
He knows me and my joy and pain. He loves me. He blesses me. He tests me, refining me and helping me to know my strengths.
The Book of Mormon is a testimony of Christ in the Americas.  It is a history of sorts of the people who lived here on this continent before and after His death.
It was translated by the Holy Spirit through Joseph Smith and it is remarkable!
I am filled with awe when I read it.

3 Nephi 18:12
"And I give unto you a commandment that ye shall do these things. And if ye shall always do these things blessed are ye, for ye are built upon my rock."

No comments: