Monday, August 9, 2010

Where Were You On That Day?




Some people remember exactly where they were when John Lennon was shot or when Princess Diana  died or when Donny Osmond was married (yep, May 1978~I read about it in the Lansing State Journal...let's have a moment of silence...)
However, I also remember this day: June 8, 1978

Mostly, I remember how it changed my Dad's views of Blacks.  He was not racist, but he enjoyed an off-colored joke. And though we were NEVER allowed to use the "n word", my Dad and buddies often used other terms that were less than flattering.
That day my Dad, though he was NOT active in the church and had not been in a church building in years, knew that what President Kimball had said was momentous and that he would be accountable for his words against any child of God.
Many people ask why it took so long and question the motives of the prophet. To that I say,
"Ask an African-American member of the church. They know it was inspired and it was the right time."

We are truly blessed to have a living prophet.
This to me was more inspiring and humbling and important that the election of the first African-American president.
An amazing event in our history and I am proud to remember that day.

No comments: